Here she is!! Introducing Rebekah Grace.....in pictures! :-) I had a Level 2 ultrasound today at my high risk OB, and they can put the pictures on CD, so here we go!


She almost had her thumb in her mouth here!! We will be meeting with a Pediatric Cardiologist sometime in the next two to three weeks for him to look at an ultrasound of Rebekah's heart and determine how severe he thinks her defect is. Most likely, a final determination of her heart defect will not come until after birth when the doctors can determine how critical or stable she is on her own.

So, for right now, the tentative plan is for her to grow, grow, grow!! Based on what Dr. Greig suspects the cardiologists will recommend, we were told to prepare for a delivery in Charleston, SC, where the Pediatric Cardiology unit is and where Rebekah will ultimately have her surgery. We will be meeting with the NICU doctors, the PCICU (pediatric cardiology intensive care unit) doctors and nurses, the pediatric cardiologist, the pediatric cardiothoracic surgical team and the high-risk OB doctors in Charleston sometime in the next 2 or 3 months to meet them and familiarize ourselves with where things are and how things are going to progress once Rebekah is born.
Dr. Greig's biggest concern is for Rebekah to grow as much as possible in utero, and based on my past history of NOT going into labor on my own, he said they will wait until 38 or possibly 39 weeks to schedule my induction at MUSC in Charleston. Once Rebekah is born, we will be looking at one of three scenarios:
1) Rebekah is very critical at birth and will have surgery within hours or a day or two of birth to repair the vessels.
2) Rebekah is somewhat stable at birth or can be stabilized with medication and/or medical equipment in order to allow her to stay in the PCICU for a week or two to grow before surgery.
Nancy
3) Rebekah is much more stable at birth than the doctors are suspecting and she is allowed to come home for a few weeks to grow prior to her surgery.
Because each person is different and reacts differently, the doctors will not be entirely certain of which scenario we will be facing until Rebekah is born. The one thing we know for sure is that she will need at least one open heart surgery to correct the vessels, and possibly two or three more as she grows depending on the extent of the birth defect and how it is repaired during the first surgery. She will visit a cardiologist at least once a year for the rest of her life in order to monitor her heart and stay ahead of any potential problems. However, the long-term prognosis is very good. Rebekah should have no restrictions or limitations due to her heart defect. She should be able to grow, develop and play like any other baby. She should even be able to participate in sports programs if she wants at some point. And, some really encouraging news is that there should be no reason that she can't have children of her own some day, although it will require a little more monitoring of her heart than an otherwise healthy pregnant mom would have.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something or not answering everyone's questions! If you have a question, leave me a post, and I will try to answer it (or find the answer!!). The links below should also provide more information:
We would certainly appreciate all of your prayers as we approach Rebekah's delivery in July and the surgeries that follow.
Nancy

7 comments:
We'll be praying for you Ellis family!
My heart just dropped when I read this last night Nancy. As I said on FB, I will be fervently praying for Rebekah!!
Let me know if there is anything else I can do!
Thanks for sharing, Nancy. We'll just keep on praying.
God brings us together in amazing ways, doesn't he?! Although Rebekah has a different type of defect than Matthew, the course and prognosis is very similar. I am sorry you have this stress to deal with but I will be here for you! One of the blessings of walking a difficult path is later being able to be a light for someone else just starting their journey. You saw the pictures of Matthew, growing young man, today he got to shoot hoops and hit golf balls again! Anytime I can be of help, you know how to find me!
Love, Laura
I found your blog through Oliver's. My son Caden also has TA (type 2) and I thought I would offer you his blog to find more resources. I have posted links to several other TA kids, as well as a link to an online support group. I like to use our experiences to reach out to other families, especialy those who just got the news. I hope this finds you well.
Ashlea (Caden's mom)
www.cadenkonecny.blogspot.com
I just found your blog and wanted to say I will be praying for your family and baby Rebekah!! Baby Stellan was healed and with all the people that will be praying for Rebekah the doctors wont know what to do when they see a healthy baby at birth!!
Hey Guys!
Your explanation of Bekah's illness was great! That helps me understand a lot. We are praying for you guys! We love you! Hope we can see you again before too long. :o) Can't wait to meet that little girl!
Rebekah
Post a Comment